Friday, August 26, 2011

BBQ Green Beans


There is something incredibly satisfying about the harvesting of these beans. I am in love with the festival of color. I don't think that one color tastes better than another, I simply plant all three because I love to pick them. When they cook unfortunately the purple ones turn green so I loose that visual gratification, but it's still fun to see two colors on the plate rather than only one.


At this point in the summer we have eaten beans in every way imaginable. We just alternate between beans and squash every night. I'm doing my best to use what the garden gives us, and at the same time trying to not get bored of the same food. So we eat the same food different ways :)

 This was almost like a double whammy in that first of all I didn't have to heat up my house to cook them because they cooked on the BBQ, and second of all it was a new way to eat the same food that we've already eaten plenty of this summer.

Before I began washing the beans I poured a couple of tbs EVOO in a bowl with a couple crushed garlic cloves and some salt and pepper. I mixed this and let it sit while I washed the beans. I did this hoping that the garlic would give some flavor to the oil.

I placed the beans on a double layer of foil, tucked some sliced onions into them and poured the oil mixture over the top. Wrapped the foil up tight and placed it right on the BBQ. I also made a kid friendly packet that only had some butter on it so that my kids would also eat their vegis.

I think it cooked for probably 20-30 mins on a mixture of high and medium heat. I cooked these one time before and let it burn a little (on accident) and I actually think I liked it better that way. Kinda caramelized the onions and gave it a little deeper flavor.


 The kid's packet.


So yummy, so easy, so healthy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment