Monday, October 10, 2011

Pumpkin Turkey Chili

Dawnie, this is for you. Hopefully it will re energize your will to blog!! You were having lots of fun doing it, and I am sure there are some things that you'd like to share. So, PLEASE!! BLOG!!!

That being said.

Here is an odd sort of recipe that I found in a Smith's mailer. I wanted to try it because I like recipes that hide healthy ingredients.

As always I also changed the recipe a ton based on what I like and what I had. I am only going to post what I did and not the original recipe.

1 Onion chopped
2 Bell peppers chopped (I only had red)
1 tbs Minced garlic
1 lb Ground turkey
2 C. Diced tomatoes (fresh or canned)
2 C. Pumpkin puree
1 can Kidney beans
1 can Pinto beans
1 1/2 tbs Chili powder
1 tbs Cumin
1/2 tbs Paprika
1/2 tsp each Black pepper & Salt
Toppings:
Shredded cheese
Sour Cream
Hot sauce

Brown ground turkey and set aside. In same pan add peppers & onion. Cook until tender, if using fresh tomatoes add them at this time too. Add garlic and spices. Return turkey to pan and add canned beans and pumpkin puree. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer until its as thick as you like it. I like really thick chili so I let it simmer for a while. The original recipe called for 4 hrs in a crock pot, so that's also an option .

Top with your favorite toppings and try to get your family to guess the secret ingredient. No one will guess there is pumpkin in it. It makes gives the chili a beautifully creamy texture.

2 comments:

  1. I made Chili the other day! I should have taken pictures of it and posted but I have had a serious case of the "f" its lately. I promise I will get back to my old self soon.
    Love you

    ReplyDelete